Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

200K

Last week I hit a huge milestone-the first car that I bought hit 200,000 miles.
Missed the monentous occasion by 2 miles-but I kind of like the symmetry of this number!
My Sophomore year in college my 1988 Honda Accord died and in January of 2001 I bought a brand spanking new 2001 Silver Honda Civic-affectionately known as Sparkles. I drove her off the lot with only 12 miles on her and last Thursday on my way into work she turned over to 200,000 miles.

Sparkles has been with me through many stages of my adult life. She took me to class for 3 years at Clemson, to Florida for spring break, home to NC to visit family and on many other trips. She was with me when I moved to Richmond in 2003 for my first real job. She was my reliable source of transportation while Aaron and I dated long distance for 3 years. I am sure many of those 200K miles can be accounted for by the numerous trips to South Carolina and New Jersey. Once Aaron and I got married she was our car the one we took everywhere while we lived in New Jersey and then as we moved to South Carolina in 2007. She has always been so reliable until January of 2010 we had only done routine maintenance to her. However that January the transmission died and we thought that was the end our Sparkles. During this time we decided to buy a Highlander as we planned for the family we hoped to soon start. While we knew with her age Sparkles could no longer be our primary car we decided she was worth fixing to serve as a secondary car that gets amazing gas mileage. Aaron has driven her when he did not need his truck for work save on gas. She and I have been mostly separated over the last year and a half while I have driven the Highlander. However upon the arrival of the twins and my return to work, Sparkles and I were reunited. The twins car seats only fit well in the Highlander so I have had to leave this car at home with the twins. It has been like finding that old friend after years of no contact, you know one another and you can pick up right where you left off. While she cosmetically is starting to show her age mechanically she is still running like a champ. I am so thankful to have such a great car that has helped me appreciate the value of my investment. Here's to 100,000 more miles.

No comments: