Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Baby Food

Two months ago we finally began feeding the twins solid foods. It has been an interesting experience. Riggs took to it pretty quickly and Jackson was a bit slower to the start as I would have guessed. Having a boy and a girl that are the exact same age is really interesting it proves the fact that girls do develop quicker.

Riggs' first attempt with green beans. It was a little tough but she loves them now.

Anyway back to the food. We started off with rice cereal and then quickly went to oatmeal-let's just say I got a taste of the rice one day and it left much to be desired in flavor. As they have gotten better with keeping the food in their mouth we have moved to vegetables. I was unsure in the beginning how I wanted to do this. I went back and forth on if I wanted to make their food I finally decided I would at least try and it has gone really well so far.


To make our food I just steam the veggies (I usually by frozen vegetables to reduce on prep work) and puree in the blender with some water and freeze into cubes. You can use ice cube trays-which I did for my first batch and was left frustrated. I bought these from amazon and love them-it is so easy to get the cubes out and I know exactly how much each one is.


So far this has worked really well for us and does not take very much time. I normally do a batch or two while I am making dinner since I am already in the kitchen making a mess cooking.

So far we have had peas, green beans, butternut squash (fresh & baked), carrots, sweet potatoes, pears, mango, bananas and apple sauce (I buy this premade). The only food concern we have had is with Jackson and sweet potatoes-he got a horrible diaper rash his bottom was raw.

I have not decided how I want to handle meat yet. I know they will need to protein at some point but pureed meat kind of makes my stomach turn.



There are two main reasons we have gone down the path of making their food. First off it saves so much money and with twins every penny counts double. I can get a bag of frozen carrots for about $1.25 and make a tray of food or I could buy 2 containers of premade carrots for $1. Secondly it just seems so much better. Store bought baby food is all the same consistency and just seems kind of gross to me. The homemade is vibrant in color and flavor. There are times though that the store bought is easier so they eat this as a matter of convenience.




This like anything else with parenting is something that is a personal preference. I don't think I am any better of a parent for making their food, nor do I think anyone else is not for buying their babies food-this is just what is working for us. I know I did not go into a lot of specifics but if you have any questions let me know and I can share from what I have experienced thus far. 

2 comments:

Heather said...

I think our baby food experience went a little smoother than yours. haha! That picture of Riggs is too funny. What brand are those chairs?

Catherine said...

So glad you did a post on this! Buying frozen veggies is great. I've done it for peas, and I think I'll do it for peaches since they're not in season right now. I read that frozen veggies are typically very fresh anyway since they're frozen right away. I'm also wondering about the meats. I have some Earth's Best "dinners" that I got majorly on sale at Babies R Us for that (2 packs of 12 jars for $15). I think my son will be eating those until I can give him finger foods of meat! :)